Lay Mission-Helpers sends Catholic singles, families and married couples to live and work in mission dioceses in Africa, Latin America and the Pacific Islands. Our missioners offer their training as teachers, nurses, administrators, construction supervisors, pastoral ministers, engineers and other professions to be of service to the Church and those of God's people who have few material resources. We match your skill set with a need in one of our partner mission dioceses.
After attending a four-month formation program in Los Angeles, our missioners serve three-year terms in Cameroon, Tanzania, Ecuador or Papua New Guinea. LMH provides airfare, health insurance and a stipend. The mission site provides room and board. The need is great, but the rewards of serving are even greater. Read inspiring stories from the field and our current missioner blogs.
Candidates are accepted into our Formation Program after successfully completing an application process.
The process includes:
Requirements for Admission
- Be a practicing Catholic involved in his/her local Church and community
- Be a U.S. citizen
- Have a college degree and/or professional skill needed in the missions
- Have good mental and physical health
- Be 21 to 62 years of age (upper age limit negotiable)
- Be willing to make a 3-year commitment
- Have a commitment to work and live with the poor
- Participate in the 4-month Formation Program in Los Angeles
- Be willing to actively assist in fundraising for costs of mission support
How To Apply
If you are interested in the Lay Mission-Helpers Association, you can begin the process by filling out the Preliminary Form. You may also download a PDF of the form that you can mail in to Lay Mission-Helpers. You will need Adobe Acrobat to open and print this form. If you do not have Adobe Acrobat, Please click here.
One Person Can Make a Difference
This colorful brochure provides a brief, powerful overview of the work Lay Mission-Helpers is doing and how you can help. Whether this is your first step toward serving in the missions or you just want to support others already serving overseas, you’ll find this document a helpful, quick-read resource. Please click here to download.